Monday, November 14, 2005

Review: Egyptian Journies with Dan Cruikshank

This is a short piece by Ian Bell, added at the end of a review on Alien Worlds, briefly looking at the most recent episode of Egypt Journies which focused on the Amarna period: "Quite what the history department would have made, meanwhile, of Dan Cruickshank is anyone's guess. When he hove into view riding on an ass last night, it looked like a director's little joke. But as he proceeded to tell the tale of the heretical pharaoh Akhenaten and his queen Nefertiti, a familiar performance began to emerge.Cruickshank could gush for Britain. He can enthuse to an Olympic standard. He is not an Egyptologist, as such, and much of his series is in any case being duplicated by BBC1's Egypt, but he can become awestruck at the drop of a Panama hat, a knack that is always hard to criticise"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just rewatched the whole series and as you say Dan gushes for England and whilst huge archeological finds impress him he seems less able to cope with the ordinary things in life, his fright at the start of the series when the hot air balloon burner is turned up is matched only by Brians mother mary (in the life of Brian falls of the stool) when the wise men enter.

I watched that series as well as Egypt (I don't know why they weren't on the same side etc as anyone interested in the one would want to watch the other.

Finally I'll get to the point and need to ask whether you felt there was any factual errors in Dans prog as his infectious enthusiasm has sparked something in me.

Thanks for your review

Andie said...

Hi

Nice to hear from you.

To be honest, I saw this series was some time ago and I don't remember much about it. The review quoted was not mine, but was on the Glasgow Herald website (I've just checked the URl, but the review has either been moved or deleted).

I don't actually recall any factual howlers, and I don't remember anyone else pointing out any either, although there was a lot of conversation about both the programmes you mention. I have to say, I do remember sitting through a couple of episodes with the sound turned off, just watching the footage, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Sorry not to be of more help. If the Egyptology bug has bitten you, there are some excellent books available. Off the top of my head I can't think of any DVDs that cover the whole span of ancient Egyptian history, but if you find one, do let me know.

By the way, I love the comparison with Life of Brian!

All the best
Andie